Heartfelt Father’s Day Stories from Your Fellow Travelers

What’s Your Best Memory of Dad? Real Traveler Stories

Last week we asked, “What’s your best memory of Dad?” In honor of Father’s Day, here are a few of the heartfelt stories sent in so far.

“If you want to do something, go do it!”

After my mom’s passing, my wonderful dad took me to New York City for my 50th birthday. He was 80 years old and you cannot believe the adventure we had! We walked from Rockefeller Center all the way to Ground Zero, stopping at the famed Macy’s and then Greenwich Village for lunch. The site of the tragedy was overwhelming, but off again we went on foot back to our hotel.  Dad took me to dinner at the famous Tavern on the Green in Central Park. In June it was alive with brilliant color and it rained on the beautiful glass roof that night. The next day we rode the Staten Island Ferry and went to a Broadway musical.

The weather was perfect, and on Sunday morning Dad said, “Let’s go to the baseball game!” I objected, “We don’t have tickets!” He answered, “Don’t worry, honey. It will work out!” So we hit the subway and, looking lost, were immediately adopted by two local attorneys who were headed there, too. As we were chatting they asked if we had tickets. We said “No,” and they said “Hey, we have two extras—and for a private box!” We were treated to a lunch buffet at the box and enjoyed it all immensely! My dear dad has since passed away, but what I learned from him over the years I use every day! No matter your age, keep moving. And if you want to do something, go do it. It just works out! We had the time of our life! Love you, Dad!

-Pamela S.

“Filler up Pop!

My favorite story of my dad was when I was a child in Hollywood, Florida.  My dad owned a garage and gas station in Dania. I went to work each day with my dad until I was four. He got me a pedal car (remember them?) and painted “Don’s Pure Station” on the side. He taught me to pedal up to the side of a customer’s car and ask, “Filler up?”  When the customer told me their answer, I would shout back to my dad, “One buck Pop!” or “Filler up Pop!”

This routine worked for about a year or so until I was too big to pedal in the car without banging up my knees. My dad put my car up on the roof of the garage, so the repeat customers would remember Don’s daughter Donna pulling up to the curb and shouting back their order for gas. It’s a very fond memory as my dad passed away in December of 1988. He was a great dad.

-Donna B.

“He got up at 4:00 a.m. on the only day he had to sleep in.

When I was 13 I had a Los Angeles Times paper route with about 75 customers. The papers would be delivered to my home about 4:00 a.m., at which time I would rise from bed, fold the papers, and deliver them, finishing about 6:30 a.m.

My first experience with the Sunday edition almost ended my delivery career. The Sunday edition was five or six times larger than the weekday edition and very heavy. Due to its size and weight, the Sunday paper required two trips and a walk to every front door because it was too heavy to throw. I finished the first Sunday route at 9:00 a.m. and had several complaints about the late delivery.

When the second Sunday rolled around, I got up at 4:00 a.m. and started packing the papers in my bag when I was startled by my dad, who had also gotten up at 4:00 a.m. on the only day he had to sleep in. He helped me load the papers in the family car and deliver the papers. Even though there were many steep hills on my route, we finished in about 90 minutes.

My dad continued to get up every Sunday morning to provide transportation as long as I had that paper route, for which I was very grateful.

-Jim H.

P.S. – It’s not too late to enter our Father’s Day contest. Share your story and you’ll be entered to win three nights at any ResorTime property and a $20 Karl Strauss gift card!



Searching for your next vacation…


Create ResorTime Traveler Account

Need Help?

Live chat available Mon - Sat
8am - 5pm PST